Sunday, September 13, 2015

{Glory Art} Scripture Challenge #16, Humility

The Study

This week we are looking at humility. Have you ever known someone that is truly humble? What did you see in them that was different? What drew you to them? And what is humility exactly?

Humility (dictionary.com): not being proud or arrogant

Basically, it's the opposite of pride which means:

Pride (dictionary.com)pleasure or satisfaction taken in something done by or belonging 
to oneself or believed to reflect credit upon oneself; something that causes 
a person or persons to be proud.

Pride comes out when we want someone else's job, when we always want to be the leader, or when we criticize everyone else. Nancy Leigh DeMoss has a wonderful pdf file called "Proud Spirits and Humble Hearts." I highly recommend you print this file and do the suggested exercise. Click here to see and print the pdf file.

The world tells us to be self-confident, believe in yourself, be proud of what you have done. But Biblical humility is being Christ-like. It is exalting and praising others especially Jesus. The most important thing we think is what we think about God. We must see God as He reveals Himself in the Bible. Jesus is our example of greatness. He is humble, provider, creator, healer, eternal, omnipresent, gentle, patient, teacher, long-suffering, perfect, all-knowing, etc. We can develop some of these through sanctification. The second most important thing is what we think about ourselves according to God. We must see ourselves as God sees us (depraved sinners redeemed by the blood of Christ). It requires us to believe in His sacrifice so that we can go from depraved sinner to redeemed.

Humility is not being childlike or childish. Humility is not self-loathing or self-degradation. We are not to focus on ourselves or our inabilities but we are to focus on God. We are to accept our limitations and completely trust God to enable us. True humility is all about God and not about us. Think less of self and more of God. Let go of selfish desires to be better than others. Be great for God!

Accurate self-evaluation is a sign of true humility and increasing maturity. Believers are to use faith as their measure of evaluation.

"I am persuaded that love and humility are the highest attainments 
in the school of Christ and the brightest evidences 
that He is indeed our Master. John Newton

Will you ask God to convict you immediately when you become prideful? Lay down your pride and ask Him to help you humble yourself before Him. Now I leave you with a song by Jeremy Camp called "Lay Down My Pride." Click here to read the lyrics and listen to this song.

Chorus:
I lay down my pride
My desires my demise
I'm ready now to see it Your way
Cause I'm done, I'm thorough ignoring You now it's true
I'm kneeling at the cross of Your grace
Lay down my pride

Psalm 25:9 "He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them His way."

Psalm 149:4 "For the Lord takes delight in His people; He crowns the humble with victory."

Proverbs 11:2 "When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom."

Isaiah 29:19 "Once more the humble will rejoice in the Lord; the needy will rejoice in the Holy One of Israel."

Matthew 23:12 "For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted."

Romans 12:3 "For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you."

James 4:10 "Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up."

Hebrews 13:20-21 "Now may the God of peace, who through the blood of the eternal covenant brought back from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great Shepherd of the sheep, equip you with everything good for doing His will, and may He work in us what is pleasing to Him, through Jesus Christ, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen."

The Art
Today I decided to create another Journaling Bible page. I used another scrap piece of paper on my desk and used that to create the flowers. That was my inspiration for this page. I highlighted Matthew 23:12 but really could have gone with so many of the verses listed above. It was truly hard to choose!



Feel free to join us on the Facebook page where some people will be sharing their creations. We also have some discussions that will be going on there too about the study. If you don't use Facebook and want to share your creation here, do so below by using Inlinkz! To see all of the information regarding this challenge and the previous studies and art tips, please see this post here. I pray you will go out this week and be great for God!

Product List (click product tags for more information)

View blog post for supplies



4 comments:

Crafting With Jack said...

I love how you do the text blocks. Do you print each word out as you need them or do you keep a stash of suitable words in different styles and fonts?

Patter Cross said...

Angela, thank you! :) I do not keep a stash. I create words as I create my pages. I do them in lots of different ways. Maybe this would make a good post. I will work on it, and get it posted. :) Have a blessed day!

Melanie Lewis said...

Thank you SO VERY MUCH for the GREAT Bible study on humility! You do a fabulous job of pairing relevant Scripture, music, and art! I deeply appreciate your ministry!

Anne-Marie said...

I do like the aqua color you used on your lovely Bible journaling. Thank you for some great teaching for us.

Related Posts with Thumbnails