Sunday, July 13, 2014

{SCRLLC14} Scripture Lesson #12, Hello, My Name Is

Today I want to start off by asking you to read the words to today's song. Don't listen to the song yet, just read the words:

Hello, My Name Is by Matthew West

Hello, my name is regret
I'm pretty sure we have met
Every single day of your life
I'm the whisper inside
That won't let you forget

Hello, my name is defeat
I know you recognize me
Just when you think you can win
I'll drag you right back down again
‘Til you've lost all belief

These are the voices, these are the lies
And I have believed them, for the very last time

Hello, my name is child of the one true King
I've been saved, I've been changed,
And I have been set free
“Amazing Grace” is the song I sing
Hello, my name is child of the one true King

I am no longer defined
By all the wreckage behind
The one who makes all things new 
Has proven it's true 
Just take a look at my life 

What love the Father has lavished upon us 
That we should be called His children 
I am a child of the one true King

And click here to listen to this song.

So, do you ever feel defeated? Do you ever regret something that you have done? Do you let that drag you down? If we are honest with ourselves, we all feel that way at some time. As Christians, we cannot let those lies drag us down or cause our faith to falter. In the Old Testament, the Israelites had to give a guilt offering to atone for their guilt and shame.

Leviticus 5:15-16 "When anyone is unfaithful to the Lord by sinning unintentionally in regard to any of the Lord’s holy things, they are to bring to the Lord as a penalty a ram from the flock, one without defect and of the proper value in silver, according to the sanctuary shekel. It is a guilt offering. They must make restitution for what they have failed to do in regard to the holy things, pay an additional penalty of a fifth of its value and give it all to the priest. The priest will make atonement for them with the ram as a guilt offering, and they will be forgiven."

Death is a consequence of sin. So, prior to Christ's death on the cross for our sin, the Old Testament sacrifices were still in place. However, as Christians, we must remember, that Jesus went to the cross to take away the shame, the defeat, and the guilt. We are alive in Him and not defined by our past. But we must confess our sins daily so that we can receive forgiveness. In Him as we confess, we are forgiven!

Leviticus 5:5 "When anyone becomes aware that they are guilty in any of these matters, they must confess in what way they have sinned."

Romans 6:10-11 "The death He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life He lives, He lives to God. In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus."

Leave sin and guilt at the cross where Christ left it. We are forgiven, and we are not to doubt or hang onto guilt! Jesus broke sins' power over you and over me. Because I have a relationship with Christ, I need to look at sin differently. I need to confess it. I need to change my way and become more like Him, and I need to leave it behind once I am forgiven. I can't live in guilt and shame as I did before knowing Him. I am a new person. For instance, once I got married, I got a new name. I began a different life with my husband. I also have a new name and life in Christ, and I need to live differently than I did before. Do I leave the shame, defeat, and guilt behind? Not always but I should! Does this mean I no longer sin? Absolutely not! I sin daily! If I continue to live a life dominated by sin, that is devastating to a believer and dishonoring to God. I am His ambassador so I need to change and live in obedience to Him. I am a constant work-in-progress! He is molding me. How about you?

Isaiah 64:8 "Yet you, Lord, are our Father. We are the clay, You are the potter; we are all the work of Your hand."

The fact that we are saved by grace does not give us the right to sin. It give us the freedom to obey! Jesus not only paid the penalty for sin but He broke it's power. So, leave the guilt, the shame, and defeat behind. You have heavenly characteristics! Which ones have you taken on? Which ones do you need to add?

Psalm 34:5 "Those who look to Him are radiant; their faces are never covered with shame."

Romans 9:33 "As it is written: 'See, I lay in Zion a stone that causes people to stumble and a rock that makes them fall, and the one who believes in Him will never be put to shame.'"

Romans 10:11 "As Scripture says, 'Anyone who believes in Him will never be put to shame.'"

Hebrews 10:22 "Let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water."

Let your life show that you are child of the one true King!!!!

For my 6x6 page today, I used Blue Fern Studios papers Blue Fern Garden papers and chipboard. See the supply list below the pictures for specific product names. And the scripture I chose was Hebrews 10:22. I just love that verse, and it goes so well with today's song.

Pin It
Papers: Blue Fern Garden Picnic and In Bloom, Memory Box cs 
Stamps: Tim Holtz Ultimate Grunge 
Blue Fern Studios chipboard: Layering Stems (painted with gesso and 13arts Ayeeda matte raspberry paint), Blue Fern Bits (painted with gesso) 
Embellishments: Prima Lil Missy flower and crochet icon, Petaloo pistachio botanica minis, Wild Orchid Crafts flowers, Tim Holtz mini paper clip, misc. ticket, misc. washi, sewing machine

Remember to use Keyword SCRLLC14 when posting your creations in any online galleries. Also, please leave a link to your creation here using Inlinkz! To see all of the information regarding this challenge and the previous studies, please see this post here. Blessings,

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A new creation, indeed--thank you very much, Patter! May God bless you abundantly.
Living the amazing grace of Christ, Jennifer in OH

Anne-Marie said...

Blessings to you Patter for introducing me to a song I had not come across before. The words are so true and so powerful. Thank you

Related Posts with Thumbnails