Sunday, September 8, 2013

{HSCRC13} Hymn #16, I Love to Tell the Story

Hymn Challenge #16: I Love to Tell the Story
Words by: Katherine Hankey (A. Catherine Hankey)
b. January 12, 1834; d. May 9, 1911

Refrain by: William Gustavus Fischer
b. Oc­to­ber 14, 1835; d. Au­gust 13, 1912

This hymn was taken from a very lengthy poem written by Katherine Hankey while recovering from a serious illness in 1866. The poem contained two sections each containing 50 verses. Two hymns were then written from each section of Katherine Hankey's poem. This hymn was taken from the second part of her poem called "The Story Told." Another hymn written from her lengthy poem was "Tell me the Old, Old Story." It was taken from the first section of the poem, "The Story Wanted," Her poem was about the story of Christ. This hymn talks not only about our redemption in Christ but how important it is to share His gospel story with others.

Arabella Katherine Hankey was born in England. She was inspired by John Wesley and taught Sunday School in London. She also did missionary work in Africa as a nurse helping her brother. When she became seriously ill in 1866, that is when she wrote the 100 verse poem in which the two hymns noted above were taken from. She did recover and lived until 1911 when she died at the age of 71.

Please note that I did see her name written two different ways in several hymnals. I saw Katherine with both a 'K' and a 'C'. I spelled it with a 'K' in this post since it was how it was noted on the hymn sheet I used for my page below.

As I was preparing our last hymn challenge for August 25th, this particular hymn was on the back of the sheet music for "He Leadeth Me." I sat for a minute, read the words to today's hymn, and then I began to sing. I realized that we have not studied this hymn yet, and we should study this one. Then God so beautifully confirmed this hymn as our study for the week on Friday morning at 5:15 a.m. I was at my BSF leader's meeting. We opened up singing this very hymn Friday morning! I sang the hymn with a huge smile on my face knowing I had just studied the history of this hymn the day before, and that God was so beautifully confirming our study this week. He almost makes me laugh sometimes at how clear He is with these hymn studies. I just love it.

So, do you LOVE to tell the story of Jesus? We need to speak to others about Jesus and His amazing love. Let's look at a few lines from the hymn (note: to see all of the words to this hymn, click here):

Verse 1
"I love to tell the story 
Of unseen things above, 
Of Jesus and His glory, 
Of Jesus and His love."

Who is Jesus and what has He done? How do you know He loves you? Jesus is God Incarnate meaning He Himself became man. He is the Son of God. He lived His life in perfect obedience to His Father. He was the perfect example for us. Jesus lived for us in order to die for us. He took our sin and put it on Himself and endured God's judgment on the cross for your sin and my sin. His death demonstrates just how much He loves you! He was then raised from the dead. He conquered sin and death, and He now sits at the right hand of God the Father.

John 1:14 "The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the One and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth."

John 1:29 "The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, 'Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!'"

Romans 5:8 "But God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Acts 2:24 "But God raised Him from the dead, freeing Him from the agony of death, because it was impossible for death to keep its hold on Him."

Colossians 1:19 "For God was pleased to have all His fullness dwell in Him."

Hebrews 1:3 "The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of His being, sustaining all things by His powerful word. After He had provided purification for sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven."

Verse 1 (cont.)
"I love to tell the story, 
Because I know its true; 
It satisfies my longings 
As nothing else would do."

So, do you know God's Word is true? Do you wholeheartedly believe the words and scriptures posted above? How about your family, friends, co-workers, or strangers God puts in your path? God's Word and God's truth satisfies us more than anything on this earth can. People are always searching for what makes them feel good. God has given each person a desire for Him. He has given them a longing for Him but they don't understand what that longing or desire is. Unfortunately some may turn to drugs, to an affair, to over spending, to gamblingthe list goes on and on. But nothing will satisfy any of us except the love of Christ and living for Him.

Psalm 119:81 "My soul faints with longing for Your salvation, but I have put my hope in Your word."

2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

1 Peter 1:23 "For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God."

Verse 2
"I love to tell the story, 
It did so much for me; 
And that is just the reason 
I tell it now to thee."

What has God done for you? I am sure you can go on and on about what He has done. So, where and how are you sharing Jesus with others? God put me in the path of a beautiful woman a few weeks ago. It was the checkout clerk at Wal-Mart. She started asking about my daughter that was with me. Those questions led to a discussion about homeschooling which led me to invite her to BSF and to share God's love. She hugged me and said "God put you in my line for a reason today." Will you watch for those opportunities?

As we see God work in our lives, we see His power, His love, and His sovereignty. It also makes us want to share with others. Sometimes people may wonder how you have been able to get through a situation. They may ask you about it. This is the perfect time to share about Christ. Though the time may be perfect to share, believers are not perfect but we are in the Perfect One. Our life is covered in Christ's blood. How are you sharing that?

Psalm 66:16 "Come and hear, all you who fear God; let me tell you what He has done for me."

Psalm 89:1 "I will sing of the Lord’s great love forever; with my mouth I will make Your faithfulness known through all generations."

Verse 3
"I love to tell the story, 
For some have never heard 
The message of salvation 
From God's own Holy Word."

So, will you go out and share the message of salvation as God leads you? Will you invite someone to Bible study or your church? How about giving a Bible to someone that has been asking questions?  We are each responsible to hear and receive God's Word. Our response to His Word has consequences now and forever.

Jesus has redeemed you. How does that knowledge change your life? You represent God on earth. You are His ambassador. Will you now be motivated to lovingly share Him with others?

Below you will find the sheet music for today's hymn. And click here to listen to Alan Jackson sing this hymn.

For my 6x6 page today, I used this layout by Heather Jacob as inspiration. I also used products from the C'est Magnifique September Kit to create my page. The chipboard is called Leafy Page Accent from Blue Fern Studios. The scripture I chose was Psalm 66:16 noted above.
Pin It

Papers: Kaisercraft True Romance Collection; Bazzill cs 
Blue Fern Studios chipboard: Leafy Page Accent (Tim Holt Distress Ink and clear rock candy crackle paint)
Stamp: Impression Obsession Fresh Paint
Stamp Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink gathered twigs
Embellishments: Project Life Seafoam card; Kaisercraft True Romance Collectables; Prima Everyday Vintage flair button and Valentine Vine white flowers; leaves and pink roses from Wild Orchid Crafts; sewing machine


Remember to use Keyword HSCRC13 when posting your creations in any online galleries. Also, please leave a link to your creation here using Inlinkz! To see all of the information regarding this challenge and the previous studies, please see this post here. Have a blessed week ahead!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We sang this hymn in church this very morning, and also sang it 45 years ago during the very first worship service of the church which has been my spiritual home all this time (despite my living and worshipping in many other places before moving back here). I do so love this song, and was immeasurably blessed to read your study and see the layout you did. Don't children ask, "Tell me a story?" even in these days of so many media?

Thank you for the encouragement and inspiration, Patter! Hymnody is such a rich source of theology and application of the Bible, and echoes phrases from the the Word very often. I love to go treasure hunting for the Bible verses used as sources for hymn texts, but this morning's Sunday School lesson in James 1 jumped out at me because it obviously was familiar to the writer of "Great Is Thy Faithfulness" -- "...there is no shadow of turning with Thee." Praise God---I am so thankful!

I appreciate you, Patter--Jennifer in Ohio

Mickie said...

Thank you for your inspiration! I remember singing this in church as a small girl and I remember well my Granddmother singing it in the kitchen.

Anne-Marie said...

Thank you Patter for sharing such a lovely hymn and one that I enjoy singing. The tune is one that stays in my head long after it has been sung.
You artwork is lovely as it always is... so many nice little surprises to discover in this piece. As a bird lover I do like your use of the bird.

Hope all is well with your family.
God Bless

Related Posts with Thumbnails